Buildings trades insurance
This page provides information about building trades insurance to those contractors with fewer than 10 employees (inc. labour only subcontractors employed or on site at any one time). If your needs are greater, please contact us direct for more bespoke cover, we have a comprehensive portfolio of policies to provide for your needs.
Specific policies are issued on a 'per head' basis for smaller contractors. Metcalfe Insurance Services has access to all the major insurance markets and can provide competitive premiums for your business.
The basic cover is Public Liability. You can add Employers Liability, Contract Works, Transit, Hired in plant, Tools and Equipment and Personal Accident.
Be aware that insurers, unlike the Inland Revenue, treat labour-only sub-contractors as employees, so you should be very careful in selecting the correct cover (ask for a copy of our explanatory leaflet).
Similarly it is essential that you are aware of the contract terms in relation to when you get paid and how much work has been done. A fire or storm could wreck a part finished property and if payment is on completion the work would have to be redone at your expense. Contract works will cover this.
Basic cover is Public Liability. You can select from a range of limits from £1,000,000 to £5,000,000. Additional policies increasing these limits can be arranged if required.
- Public Liability - £1,000,000 to £5,000,000
- Excess Layer (top-up public liability)
- Employers Liability - Standard £10,000,000 limit
- Contract Works - Covers the value of the work and materials at risk
- Goods in Transit - Covers the goods brought to site for use on contract
- Hire in Plant - Covers the value of plant hired to the contractor even if a driver/operator is supplied the contractor is responsible
- Own and Employees Tools - Covers up to a set amount for loss of tools
- Personal Accident - Covers set benefits for accidental injury to selected personnel.
Trades that can be covered:
- Heating Engineers
- Window Cleaners
The list is not exhaustive (ask us whether your trade is included).
Enquire & we'll call you back
Use the enquiry form on this page and we'll call you back at your convenience during office hours (be sure to leave a number we can contact you on).
If you prefer to phone, during office hours you can call us on 0161 480 0170 to get answers directly from one of our specialists.